[Matts-arxiv] Matt's arXiv selection: week ending 28 August 2009.

From: Matthew Davis <mdavis_at_physics.uq.edu.au>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 10:18:57 +1000

Dear subscribers,

Andy Ferris compiled this week's abstracts. There are 29 new preprints and 5
replacements.

\\
arXiv:0908.3015
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:00:00 GMT (673kb)

Title: Universal Thermometry for Trapped Quantum Gases Based on Number
   Fluctuations
Authors: Qi Zhou and Tin-Lun Ho
Categories: cond-mat.quant-gas
Comments: 4 pages, 3 figures
\\
   We show that by using a generalized of fluctuation-dissipation theorem, one
can determine the temperature of a trapped quantum gases (with or without
optical lattice) by number fluctuations in the interior of the gas. We show
that this scheme is fast convergent, requiring averaging over 50 samples to
achieve 3% accuracy. Moreover, the accuracy of the scheme is unaffected by the
presence of photon shot noise. This method also enables one to map out magnetic
susceptibility of spin systems as a function of chemical potential and
temperature.
\\ ( http://arxiv.org/abs/0908.3015 , 673kb)
\\
arXiv:0908.3033