[Matts-arxiv] Matt's arXiv selection: week ending 24 September 2010

From: Matthew Davis <mdavis_at_physics.uq.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 23:10:51 +1000

Dear subscribers,

This week's selection was compiled by Chris Foster, and contains 21 new
abstracts and 7 replacements.

\\
arXiv:1005.0686 (*cross-listing*)
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 08:02:48 GMT (236kb,D)
Date (revised v2): Mon, 20 Sep 2010 05:55:45 GMT (237kb,D)

Title: The Transition to a Giant Vortex Phase in a Fast Rotating Bose-Einstein
   Condensate
Authors: M. Correggi, N. Rougerie, J. Yngvason
Categories: math-ph cond-mat.quant-gas math.MP
Comments: 52 pages, PDFLaTex. References added, minor corrections. To be
   published in Commun. Math. Phys
MSC-class: 35Q55, 47J30, 76M23
\\
   We study the Gross-Pitaevskii (GP) energy functional for a fast rotating
Bose-Einstein condensate on the unit disc in two dimensions. Writing the
coupling parameter as $1/\eps^2$ we consider the asymptotic regime $\eps\to 0$
with the angular velocity $\Omega$ proportional to $(\eps^2|\log\eps|)^{-1}$.
We prove that if $\Omega=\Omega_0 (\eps^2|\log\eps|)^{-1}$ and
$\Omega_0>(3\pi)^{-1}$ then a minimizer of the GP energy functional has no
zeros in an annulus at the boundary of the disc that contains the bulk of the
mass. The vorticity resides in a complementary `hole' around the center where
the density is vanishingly small. Moreover, we prove a lower bound to the
ground state energy that matches, up to small errors, the upper bound obtained
from an optimal giant vortex trial function, and also that the winding number
of a GP minimizer around the disc is in accord with the phase of this trial
function.
\\ ( http://arxiv.org/abs/1005.0686 , 237kb)
\\
arXiv:1009.3290