[Matts-arxiv] Matt's arXiv selection: week ending 15 October 2010

From: Matthew Davis <mdavis_at_physics.uq.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 23:12:00 +1000

Dear subscribers,

This week's selection was compiled by a Mike Garrett, and contains 33 new
abstracts and 23 replacements.

\\
arXiv:1009.4646 (*cross-listing*)
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 15:54:20 GMT (20kb)

Title: Dynamical simulation of integrable and non-integrable models in the
   Heisenberg picture
Authors: Dominik Muth, Razmik Unanyan, and Michael Fleischhauer
Categories: quant-ph cond-mat.other
Comments: 4 pages, 2 figures
\\
   The numerical simulation of quantum many-body dynamics is typically limited
by the linear growth of entanglement with time requiring exponentially
increasing computational ressources to reach a given accuracy. Recently
numerical studies have shown, however, that for 1D Bethe-integrable models the
simulation of local operators in the Heisenberg picture can be much more
efficient as the corresponding operator-space entanglement growsonly
logarithmically with time. Using the spin-1/2 XX chain as generic example of an
integrabel model that can be mapped to free particles, we here provide a simple
explanation of this behaviour. Furthermore we show that the same reduction of
numerical complexity applies to operators that have a high-temperature auto
correlation function which decays slower than exponential, i.e. with a power
law. This is amongst others the case for models where the Blombergen-De Gennes
conjecture of high-temperature diffusive dynamics holds. Thus efficient
simulability may already be implied by a single conservation law (like that of
total magnetization), as we will illustrate numerically for the spin-1 XXZ
model.
\\ ( http://arxiv.org/abs/1009.4646 , 20kb)
\\
arXiv:1010.1534