[Matts-arxiv] Matt's arXiv selection: week ending 18 September 2009

From: Matthew Davis <mdavis_at_physics.uq.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 20:48:06 +1000

Dear subscribers,

This week's selection was compiled by Geoff Lee. There are 20 new preprints and
13 replacements.

\\
arXiv:0909.2079
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 02:18:23 GMT (1152kb)

Title: Electromagnetically induced transparency in an inverted Y-type
   four-level system
Authors: Jianbing Qi
Categories: quant-ph
\\
   The interaction of a weak probe laser with an inverted-Y type four-level
atomic system driven by two additional coherent fields is investigated
theoretically. Under the influence of the coherent coupling fields, the
steady-state linear susceptibility of the probe laser shows that the system can
have single or double electromagnetically induced transparency windows
depending on the amplitude and the detuning of the coupling lasers. The
corresponding index of refraction associated with the group velocity of the
probe laser can be controlled at both transparency windows by the coupling
fields. The propagation of the probe field can be switched from superluminal
near the resonance to subluminal on resonance within the single transparency
window when two coupling lasers are on resonance. This provides a potential
application in quantum information processing. We propose an atomic $^{87}Rb$
system for experimental observation.
\\ ( http://arxiv.org/abs/0909.2079 , 1152kb)
\\
arXiv:0909.2122