[Matts-arxiv] Matt's arXiv selection: week ending 20 August 2010

From: Matthew Davis <mdavis_at_physics.uq.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 22:55:48 +1000

Dear subscribers,

This week's selection was compiled by Mike Garrett, and contains 32 new
abstracts and 15 replacements.

\\
arXiv:1008.2239
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 00:43:34 GMT (734kb)

Title: Neutral skyrmion configurations in the low-energy effective theory of
   spinor condensate ferromagnets
Authors: R. W. Cherng and E. Demler
Categories: cond-mat.quant-gas
Comments: 13 pages, 7 figures
\\
   We study the low-energy effective theory of spinor condensate ferromagnets
for the superfluid velocity and magnetization degrees of freedom. This
effective theory describes the competition between spin stiffness and a
long-ranged interaction between skyrmions, topological objects familiar from
the theory of ordinary ferromagnets. We find exact solutions to the non-linear
equations of motion describing neutral configurations of skyrmions and
anti-skyrmions. These analytical solutions provide a simple physical picture
for the origin of crystalline magnetic order in spinor condensate ferromagnets
with dipolar interactions. We also point out the connections to effective
theories for quantum Hall ferromagnets.
\\ ( http://arxiv.org/abs/1008.2239 , 734kb)
\\
arXiv:1008.2240