[Matts-arxiv] Matt's arXiv selection: week ending 27 August 2010

From: Matthew Davis <mdavis_at_physics.uq.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 22:32:16 +1000

Dear subscribers,

This week's selection was compiled by Chris Foster, and contains 20 new
abstracts and 20 replacements.

\\
arXiv:1008.3770
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 08:02:54 GMT (210kb)

Title: Correlated bosons in a one-dimensional optical lattice: Effects of the
   trapping potential and of quasiperiodic disorder
Authors: Uttam Shrestha and Michele Modugno
Categories: cond-mat.quant-gas
Comments: Accepted for publication in PRA
\\
   We investigate the effect of the trapping potential on the quantum phases of
strongly correlated ultracold bosons in one-dimensional periodic and
quasiperiodic optical lattices. By means of a decoupling meanfield approach, we
characterize the ground state of the system and its behavior under variation of
the harmonic trapping, as a function of the total number of atoms. For a small
atom number the system shows an incompressible Mott-insulating phase, as the
size of the cloud remains unaffected when the trapping potential is varied.
When the quasiperiodic potential is added the system develops a
metastable-disordered phase which is neither compressible nor Mott insulating.
This state is characteristic of quasidisorder in the presence of a strong
trapping potential.
\\ ( http://arxiv.org/abs/1008.3770 , 210kb)
\\
arXiv:1008.3856 (*cross-listing*)