Matt's arXiv selection: week ending 27 October 2006.

From: Matthew Davis <mdavis_at_physics.uq.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 17:42:40 +1000 (EST)

The following message was sent to the matts_arxiv list by Matthew Davis <mdavis_at_physics.uq.edu.au>

Hi everyone,

I've recovered from my week of illness, and managed to cobble together the
abstract's from a couple of weeks ago. Last week's abstracts will follow
shortly.

>From this week the subject lines are changing to reflect when the abstracts are
from, rather than when I get around to sending this email.

Homepage: http://www.physics.uq.edu.au/people/mdavis/matts_arXiv/

A total of 23 new abstracts for this week:

\\
Paper: cond-mat/0610575
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:59:51 GMT (15kb)

Title: Probing Anomalous Longitudinal Fluctuations of the Interacting Bose Gas
   via Bose-Einstein Condensation of Magnons
Authors: Andreas Kreisel, Nils Hasselmann, and Peter Kopietz
Comments: 4 pages, 1 figure
Subj-class: Statistical Mechanics; Strongly Correlated Electrons
\\
   The emergence of a finite staggered magnetization in quantum Heisenberg
antiferromagnets subject to a uniform magnetic field can be viewed as
Bose-Einstein condensation of magnons. Using non-perturbative results for the
infrared behavior of the interacting Bose gas, we present exact results for the
staggered spin-spin correlation functions of quantum antiferromagnets in a
magnetic field at zero temperature. In particular, we show that in dimensions 1
< D <= 3 the longitudinal dynamic structure factor S_parallel(q,omega)
describing staggered spin fluctuations in the direction of the staggered
magnetization exhibits a critical continuum whose weight can be controlled
experimentally by varying the magnetic field.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0610575 , 15kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0610582
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 19:49:24 GMT (517kb)

Title: Stability of Bose-Einstein condensates in a Kronig-Penney potential
Authors: Ippei Danshita and Shunji Tsuchiya
Comments: 32 pages, 21 figures
Subj-class: Other
\\
   We study the stability of Bose-Einstein condensates with superfluid currents
in a one-dimensional periodic potential. By using the Kronig-Penney model, the
condensate and Bogoliubov bands are analytically calculated and the stability
of condensates in a periodic potential is discussed. The Landau and dynamical
instabilities occur in a Kronig-Penney potential when the quasimomentum of the
condensate exceeds certain critical values as in a sinusoidal potential. It is
found that the onsets of the Landau and dynamical instabilities coincide with
the point where the perfect transmission of low energy excitations through each
potential barrier is forbidden. The Landau instability is caused by the
excitations with small $q$ and the dynamical instability is caused by the
excitations with $q=\pi/a$ at their onsets, where $q$ is the quasimomentum of
excitation and $a$ is the lattice constant. A swallow-tail energy loop appears
at the edge of the first condensate band when the mean-field energy is
sufficiently larger than the strength of the periodic potential. We find that
the upper portion of the swallow-tail is always dynamically unstable, but the
second Bogoliubov band has a phonon spectrum reflecting the positive effective
mass.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0610582 , 517kb)
\\
Paper (*cross-listing*): hep-ph/0610237
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:16:53 GMT (29kb)

Title: Superfluidity in many fermion systems: Exact renormalisation group
   treatment
Authors: Boris Krippa
Comments: Talk given at the IVth International Conference on Quarks and Nuclear
   Physics (QNP06), Madrid, 5-10 June 2006
Subj-class: High Energy Physics - Phenomenology; Superconductivity
\\
   The application of the exact renormalisation group to symmetric as well as
asymmetric many-fermion systems with a short-range attractive force is studied.
   Assuming an ansatz for the effective action with effective bosons, describing
pairing effects a set of approximate flow equations for the effective coupling
including boson and fermionic fluctuations has been derived. The phase
transition to a phase with broken symmetry is found at a critical value of the
running scale. The mean-field results are recovered if boson-loop effects are
omitted. The calculations with two different forms of the regulator are shown
to lead to a similar results. We find that, being quite small in the case of
the symmetric many-fermion system the corrections to mean field approximation
becomes more important with increasing mass asymmetry.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0610237 , 29kb)
\\
Paper: physics/0610132
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 14:00:08 GMT (162kb)

Title: Efficient Monte Carlo Calculations of the One-Body Density
Authors: Roland Assaraf (LCT), Michel Caffarel (LPQ), Anthony Scemama (CERMICS)
Comments: 12 pages with 3 postscript figures
Proxy: ccsd ccsd-00107403
Report-no: LCPQ-2006
Subj-class: Computational Physics; Statistical Mechanics
\\
   An alternative Monte Carlo estimator for the one-body density rho(r) is
presented. This estimator has a simple form and can be readily used in any type
of Monte Carlo simulation. Comparisons with the usual regularization of the
delta-function on a grid show that the statistical errors are greatly reduced.
Furthermore, our expression allows accurate calculations of the density at any
point in space, even in the regions never visited during the Monte Carlo
simulation. The method is illustrated with the computation of accurate
Variational Monte Carlo electronic densities for the Helium atom (1D curve) and
for the water dimer (3D grid containing up to 51x51x51=132651 points).
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/physics/0610132 , 162kb)
\\
Paper: quant-ph/0610166
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:50:01 GMT (204kb)

Title: Tunneling resonances and entanglement dynamics of cold bosons in the
   double well
Authors: D. R. Dounas-Frazer and L. D. Carr
Comments: 4 pages, 4 figures
\\
   We present exact expressions for the quantum sloshing of ultracold bosons in
a tilted two-well potential. Tunneling is suppressed by a small potential
difference between wells, or tilt. However, tunneling resonances occur for
critical values of the tilt when the barrier is high. At resonance, tunneling
times on the order of 10-100 ms are possible. Furthermore, tunneling resonances
constitute a dynamic scheme for creating robust few-atom entangled states in
the presence of many bosons.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0610166 , 204kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0610609
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 06:31:40 GMT (37kb)

Title: Symmetry-breaking self-consistent quantum many-body structure of
   high-lying macroscopic self-trapped and superposition states of the gaseous
   double-well BEC
Authors: David J. Masiello and William P. Reinhardt
Comments: 5 pages, 3 figures
Subj-class: Other
\\
   The many-body structure of high-lying excited states, including macroscopic
quantum superpositions, of the gaseous double-well BEC is presented within the
context of a multiconfigurational bosonic self-consistent field theory based
upon underlying symmetry-broken one-body wave functions. To better understand
our initial results, a model is constructed in the extreme Fock state limit, in
which macroscopic quantum self-trapped and superposition states emerge in the
many-body spectrum, striking a delicate balance between the degree of symmetry
breaking, the effects of the condensate's mean field, and that of atomic
correlation. It is found that, in general, the superposition state lies
energetically below its related self-trapped counterpart. Furthermore,
noticeably different spatial density profiles are associated with each type of
excited state.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0610609 , 37kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0610610
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 07:41:34 GMT (303kb)

Title: Phase Diagram of Asymmetric Fermion Superfluid Including Single-Species
   Pairing
Authors: Xuguang Huang, Xuewen Hao and Pengfei Zhuang
Comments: 4 pages, 4 figures
Subj-class: Superconductivity
\\
   We investigate an asymmetric two-species fermion superfluid in which the
fermions from the same species form Cooper pairs as well. For the case with
fixed fermion numbers, the double- and single-species pairings can coexist at
low temperature, and the introduction of the single-species pairing changes
significantly the phase diagram with various homogeneous and inhomogeneous
condensed states.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0610610 , 303kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0610623
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 13:51:50 GMT (26kb)

Title: A number-conserving approach to a minimal self-consistent treatment of
   condensate and non-condensate dynamics in a degenerate Bose gas
Authors: S. A. Gardiner and S.A. Morgan
Comments: 17 pages
Subj-class: Other
\\
   We describe a number conserving approach to the dynamics of Bose-Einstein
condensed dliute atomic gases. This builds upon the works of Gardiner [C. W.
Gardiner, Phys. Rev. A \textbf{56}, 1414 (1997)], and Castin and Dum [Y. Castin
and R. Dum, Phys. Rev. A \textbf{57}, 3008 (1998)]. We consider what is
effectively an expansion in inverse powers of the number of condensate
particles, rather than the total number of particles. This requires the number
of condensate particles to be considered large, but not necessarily almost
equal to the total number of particles in the system. We argue that a
second-order treatment of the relevant dynamical equations of motion is the
minimum order necessary to provide consistent coupled condensate and
non-condensate number dynamics for a finite total number of particles, and show
that such a second-order treatment is provided by a suitably generalized
Gross-Pitaevskii equation, coupled to the Castin-Dum number-conserving
formulation of the Bogoliubov-de Gennes equations. The necessary equations of
motion can be generated from an approximate third-order Hamiltonian, which
effectively reduces to second order in the steady state. Such a treatment as
described here is suitable for dynamics at occurring at finite temperature,
where there is a significant non-condensate fraction from the outset, or
dynamics leading to dynamical instabilities, where depletion of the condensate
can also lead to a significant non-condensate fraction, even if the
non-condensate fraction is initially negligible.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0610623 , 26kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0610637
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 17:58:26 GMT (292kb)

Title: Dropping cold quantum gases on Earth over long times and large distances
Authors: G. Nandi, R. Walser, E. Kajari, and W.P. Schleich
Comments: 18 pages latex, 5 eps figures, submitted
Subj-class: Other
\\
   We describe the non-relativistic time evolution of an ultra-cold degenerate
quantum gas (bosons/fermions) falling in Earth's gravity during long times (10
sec) and over large distances (100 m). This models a drop tower experiment that
is currently performed by the QUANTUS collaboration at ZARM (Bremen, Germany).
Starting from the classical mechanics of the drop capsule and a single particle
trapped within, we develop the quantum field theoretical description for this
experimental situation in an inertial frame, the corotating frame of the Earth,
as well as the comoving frame of the drop capsule. Suitable transformations
eliminate non-inertial forces, provided all external potentials (trap, gravity)
can be approximated with a second order Taylor expansion around the
instantaneous trap center. This is an excellent assumption and the harmonic
potential theorem applies. As an application, we study the quantum dynamics of
a cigar-shaped Bose-Einstein condensate in the Gross-Pitaevskii mean-field
approximation. Due to the instantaneous transformation to the rest-frame of the
superfluid wave packet, the long-distance drop (100m) can be studied easily on
a numerical grid.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0610637 , 292kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0610644
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:28:13 GMT (173kb)

Title: Non-diffusive phase spreading of a Bose-Einstein condensate at finite
   temperature
Authors: Alice Sinatra (LKB - Lhomond), Yvan Castin (LKB - Lhomond), Emilia
   Witkowska
Comments: 13 pages, 7 figures
Proxy: ccsd hal-00109021
Subj-class: Other
\\
   We show that the phase of a condensate in a finite temperature gas spreads
linearly in time at long times rather than in a diffusive way. This result is
supported by classical field simulations, and analytical calculations which are
generalized to the quantum case. We show that this super-diffusive behavior is
intimately related to conservation of energy during the free evolution of the
system and to fluctuations of energy in the prepared initial state.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0610644 , 173kb)
\\
Paper: physics/0610194
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:06:03 GMT (178kb)

Title: Controlling ultracold Rydberg atoms in the quantum regime
Authors: Bernd Hezel, Igor Lesanovsky, Peter Schmelcher
Subj-class: Atomic Physics
\\
   We discuss the properties of Rydberg atoms in a magnetic Ioffe-Pritchard trap
being commonly used in ultracold atomic physics experiments. The Hamiltonian is
derived and it is demonstrated how tight traps alter the coupling of the atom
to the magnetic field. We solve the underlying Schroedinger equation of the
system within a given n-manifold and show that for a sufficiently large Ioffe
field strength the 2n^2-dimensional system of coupled Schroedinger equations
decays into several decoupled multicomponent equations governing the center of
mass motion. An analysis of the fully quantized center of mass and electronic
states is undertaken. In particular, we discuss the situation of tight center
of mass confinement outlining the procedure to generate a low-dimensional
ultracold Rydberg gas.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/physics/0610194 , 178kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0610659
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 08:27:03 GMT (20kb)

Title: Casimir forces between defects in one-dimensional Fermi liquids:
   influence of resonant tunneling
Authors: J.N. Fuchs, A. Recati, and W. Zwerger
Comments: This paper is a continuation of the work published in Phys. Rev. A
   72, 023616 (2005)
Subj-class: Mesoscopic Systems and Quantum Hall Effect
\\
   We study the interaction of two localized impurities in a repulsive
one-dimensional Fermi liquid via bosonization. At distances much larger than
the interparticle spacing, they interact through a Casimir-type force mediated
by the zero sound phonons of the underlying quantum liquid. The strength and
even the sign of the interaction depends sensitively on the impurity separation
due to resonant tunneling through the double barrier structure.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0610659 , 20kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0610675
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 18:30:36 GMT (244kb)

Title: Exact treatment of trapped imbalanced fermions in the BEC limit
Authors: P. Pieri, G.C. Strinati
Comments: 18 pages, 10 figures, Proceedings of the International School of
   Physics "Enrico Fermi" -- Course CLXIV "Ultra-Cold Fermi Gases", Varenna,
   June 2006
Subj-class: Superconductivity; Other
\\
   We analyze the effects of imbalancing the populations of two-component
trapped fermions in the BEC (strong-coupling) limit of the attractive
interaction between fermions of different components. In particular, we derive
a set of coupled equations which describe composite bosons and excess fermions
in this limit, starting from the gap equation with two different fermionic
chemical potentials. Care is used to include in these equations the processes
leading to the correct dimer-dimer and dimer-fermion scattering lengths, which
require us to consider beyond-mean-field effects. Numerical results are
presented for the density profiles of composite bosons and excess fermions.
Results for the formation of vortex patterns in the presence of density
imbalance are also presented.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0610675 , 244kb)
\\
Paper: physics/0610207
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:39:35 GMT (242kb)

Title: Negative Energy Resonances of Bosons in a Magnetic Quadrupole Trap
Authors: Shahpoor Saeidian, Igor Lesanovsky, Peter Schmelcher
Comments: 8 figures
Subj-class: Atomic Physics
\\
   We investigate resonances of spin 1 bosons in a three-dimensional magnetic
quadrupole field. Complementary to the well-known positive energy resonances it
is shown that there exist short-lived, i.e. broad, negative energy resonances.
The latter are characterized by an atomic spin that is aligned antiparallel to
the local magnetic field direction. In contrast to the positive energy
resonances the lifetimes of the negative energy resonances decreases with
increasing total magnetic quantum number. We derive a mapping of the two
branches of the spectrum.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/physics/0610207 , 242kb)
\\
Paper: physics/0610210
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:32:19 GMT (19kb)

Title: Feshbach resonances in the presence of inelastic scattering: threshold
   behavior and suppression of poles in scattering lengths
Authors: Jeremy M. Hutson
Comments: 4 pages, 1 figure
Subj-class: Atomic Physics; Chemical Physics
\\
   In the absence of inelastic scattering, Feshbach resonances produce poles in
scattering lengths and very large peaks in elastic cross sections. However,
inelastic scattering removes the poles. Even for quite weak inelastic
scattering the peaks in cross sections are dramatically suppressed. A resonant
scattering length is defined to characterize the strength of the resonance, and
is shown to be small for most collisions of ultracold molecules. The results
suggest that cross sections for ultracold molecular inelastic collisions are
much less sensitive to details of the potential than has been believed.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/physics/0610210 , 19kb)
\\
Paper: physics/0610214
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 12:15:06 GMT (92kb)

Title: Ultracold atom-molecule collisions and bound states in magnetic fields:
   tuning zero-energy Feshbach resonances in He-NH (3Sigma-)
Authors: Maykel Leonardo Gonzalez-Martinez and Jeremy M. Hutson
Comments: 14 pages, 13 figures
Subj-class: Atomic Physics; Atomic and Molecular Clusters; Chemical Physics
\\
   We have generalized the BOUND and MOLSCAT packages to allow calculations in
basis sets where the monomer Hamiltonians are off-diagonal and used the new
capability to carry out bound-state and scattering calculations on 3He-NH and
4He-NH as a function of magnetic field. Following the bound-state energies to
the point where they cross thresholds gives very precise predictions of the
magnetic fields at which zero-energy Feshbach resonances occur. We have used
this to locate and characterize two very narrow Feshbach resonances in 3He-NH.
Such resonances can be used to tune elastic and inelastic collision cross
sections, and sweeping the magnetic field across them will allow a form of
quantum control in which separated atoms and molecules are associated to form
complexes. For the first resonance, where only elastic scattering is possible,
the scattering length shows a pole as a function of magnetic field and there is
a very large peak in the elastic cross section. For the second resonance,
however, inelastic scattering is also possible. In this case the pole in the
scattering length is dramatically suppressed and the cross sections show
relatively small peaks. The peak suppression is expected to be even larger in
systems with stronger inelasticity. The results suggest that calculations on
ultracold molecular inelastic collisions may be much less sensitive to details
of the potential energy surface than has been believed.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/physics/0610214 , 92kb)
\\
Paper: physics/0610219
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 16:08:31 GMT (230kb)

Title: Molecular collisions in ultracold atomic gases
Authors: Jeremy M. Hutson and Pavel Soldan
Comments: Review article accepted for publication in International Reviews in
   Physical Chemistry. To be published in Vol. 26, issue 1 (January 2007)
Subj-class: Atomic Physics; Chemical Physics
\\
   It has recently become possible to form molecules in ultracold gases of
trapped alkali metal atoms. Once formed, the molecules may undergo elastic,
inelastic and reactive collisions. Inelastic and reactive collisions are
particularly important because they release kinetic energy and eject atoms and
molecules from the trap. The theory needed to handle such collisions is
presented and recent quantum dynamics calculations on ultracold atom-diatom
collisions of spin-polarised Li + Li_2, Na + Na_2 and K + K_2 are described.
All these systems have potential energy surfaces on which barrierless atom
exchange reactions can occur, and both inelastic and reactive rates are very
fast (typically k(inel) > 10^{-10} cm^3 s^-1 in the Wigner regime).
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/physics/0610219 , 230kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0610702
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:17:38 GMT (16kb)

Title: Vortex lattices in Bose-Einstein condensates with Dipolar Interactions
   Beyond the Weak Interaction Limit
Authors: S. Komineas, N.R. Cooper
Comments: 5 pages, 1 figure
Subj-class: Mesoscopic Systems and Quantum Hall Effect
\\
   We study the ground states of rotating atomic Bose-Einstein condensates with
dipolar interactions. We present the results of numerical studies on a periodic
geometry which show vortex lattice ground states of various symmetries:
triangular and square vortex lattices, "stripe crystal" and "bubble crystal".
We present the phase diagram (for systems with a large number of vortices) as a
function of the ratio of dipolar to contact interactions and of the chemical
potential. We discuss the experimental requirements for observing transitions
between vortex lattice groundstates via dipolar interactions. We finally
investigate the stability of mean-field supersolid phases of a quasi-2D
non-rotating Bose gas with dipolar interactions.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0610702 , 16kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0610703
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:37:46 GMT (185kb)

Title: Scattering of two-dimensional solitons in dipolar Bose-Einstein
   condensates
Authors: R. Nath, P. Pedri and L. Santos
Comments: 4 pages, 5 eps figures
Subj-class: Other
\\
   We analyze the scattering of bright solitons in dipolar Bose-Einstein
condensates placed in unconnected layers. Whereas for short-range interactions
unconnected layers are independent, a remarkable consequence of the dipole
interaction is the appearance of novel nonlocal interlayer effects. In
particular, we show that the interlayer interaction leads to an effective
molecular potential between disconnected solitons, inducing a complex
scattering physics between them, which includes inelastic fusion into
soliton-molecules, and strong symmetric and asymmetric inelastic resonances. In
addition, a fundamentally new 2D scattering scenario in matter-wave solitons is
possible, in which inelastic spiraling occurs, resembling phenomena in
photorrefractive materials. Finally, we consider the scattering of unconnected
1D solitons and discuss the feasibility in current on going experiments.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0610703 , 185kb)
\\
Paper: physics/0610231
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 19:10:17 GMT (968kb)

Title: Mismatch management for optical and matter-wave quadratic solitons
Authors: R. Driben, Y. Oz, B. A. Malomed, A. Gubeskys, and V. A. Yurovsky (Tel
   Aviv University)
Comments: 11 pages, 6 figures
Subj-class: Optics; Atomic Physics
\\
   We propose a way to control solitons in $\chi ^{(2)}$
(quadratically-nonlinear) systems by means of periodic modulation imposed on
the phase-mismatch parameter ("mismatch management", MM). It may be realized in
the co-transmission of fundamental-frequency (FF) and second-harmonic (SH)
waves in a planar optical waveguide via a long-period modulation of the usual
quasi-phase-matching pattern of ferroelectric domains. The MM may also be
implemented by dint of the Feshbach resonance in a harmonically-modulated
magnetic field in a hybrid atomic-molecular Bose-Einstein condensate (BEC),
with the atomic and molecular mean fields (MFs) playing the roles of the FF and
SH, respectively. The problem is analyzed by two methods. First, we identify
stability regions for spatial solitons in the MM system, in terms of the MM
amplitude and period, using the MF equations for spatially-inhomogeneous
configurations. In particular, an instability enclave is found inside the
stability area.The robustness of the solitons is also tested against variation
of the shape of the input pulse, and a threshold for the formation of stable
solitons is found in terms of its power. Interactions between solitons are
virtually unaffected by the MM. The second method (\textit{parametric
approximation}), going beyond the MF description, is developed for
spatially-homogeneous states. It demonstrates that the MF description is valid
for large modulation periods, while at smaller periods the non-MF component
acquires gain, which implies destruction of MF under the action of the
high-frequency MM.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/physics/0610231 , 968kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0610727
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 06:42:55 GMT (326kb)

Title: Coupled Breathing Oscillations of Two-Component Fermion Condensates in
   Deformed Traps
Authors: Tomoyuki Maruyama andTakushi Nishimura
Comments: 18 pages and 8 figures
Subj-class: Other
\\
   We investigate collective excitations coupled with monopole and quadrupole
oscillations in two-component fermion condensates in deformed traps. The
frequencies of monopole and dipole modes are calculated using Thomas-Fermi
theory and the scaling approximation. When the trap is largely deformed, these
collective motions are decoupled to the transverse and longitudinal breathing
oscillation modes. As the trap approaches becoming spherical, however, they are
coupled and show complicated behaviors.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0610727 , 326kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0610740
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 14:33:20 GMT (2141kb)

Title: Asymmetric matter-wave solitons at nonlinear interfaces
Authors: Fangwei Ye, Yaroslav V. Kartashov, Lluis Torner
Comments: 18 pages, 6 figures, to appear in Physical Review A
Subj-class: Materials Science
\\
   We predict the existence and study the basic properties of strongly
asymmetric matter wave solitons that form at the interface produced by regions
with different inter-atomic interaction strengths in pancake Bose-Einstein
condensates. We address several types of surface solitons featuring
topologically complex structures, including vortex and dipole-mode solitons. We
found that the soliton become significantly asymmetric for high number of
particles in the condensate. Yet, we reveal that under suitable conditions,
that we elucidate, even such strongly asymmetric dipole and vortex solitons can
be dynamically stable over wide regions of their existence domains.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0610740 , 2141kb)
\\
Paper: quant-ph/0610223
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:02:34 GMT (40kb)

Title: Two-photon and EIT-assisted Doppler cooling in a three-level cascade
   system
Authors: Giovanna Morigi, Ennio Arimondo
Comments: 5 pages, 3 figures
\\
   Laser cooling processes are theoretically investigated for a cascade scheme
of atomic levels where the upper state decays more slowly than the intermediate
one. A laser coupling to the upper transition modifies the scattering cross
section, such that its action results in temperatures lower than those reached
by Doppler cooling on the lower levels. We identify two regimes: when
multiphoton processes due to the upper laser are relevant, the formation of an
atomic coherence between ground and upper state affects the cooling dynamics,
and the final temperature is controlled by the second laser parameters. When
the intermediate state is only virtually excited, the dynamics are dominated by
the two-photon process and the final temperature is determined by the
spontaneous decay rate of the upper state.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0610223 , 40kb)
\\
Paper: quant-ph/0610225
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 14:05:50 GMT (45kb)

Title: Geometric phase of an atom in a magnetic storage ring
Authors: P. Zhang and L. You
Comments: 7pages, 4 figures
\\
   A magnetically trapped atom experiences an adiabatic geometric (Berry's)
phase due to changing field direction. We investigate theoretically such an
Aharonov-Bohm-like geometric phase for atoms adiabatically moving inside a
storage ring as demonstrated in several recent experiments. Our result shows
that this phase shift is easily observable in a closed loop interference
experiment, and thus the shift has to be accounted for in the proposed inertial
sensing applications. The spread in phase shift due to the atom transverse
distribution is quantified through numerical simulations.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0610225 , 45kb)

Replacements:

\\
Paper: cond-mat/0408460
replaced with revised version Thu, 19 Oct 2006 21:23:59 GMT (103kb)

Title: Vortices and Ring Solitons in Bose-Einstein Condensates
Authors: L. D. Carr and Charles W. Clark
Comments: 15 pages, 9 figures -- final version
Subj-class: Other; Pattern Formation and Solitons
Journal-ref: Phys. Rev. A v. 74, 043613 (2006).
   http://link.aps.org/abstract/PRA/v74/e043613
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0408460 , 103kb)
\\
Paper: physics/0609203
replaced with revised version Thu, 19 Oct 2006 23:40:29 GMT (250kb)

Title: Exploring the phase space of the quantum delta kicked accelerator
Authors: G. Behinaein, V. Ramareddy, P. Ahmadi, and G.S. Summy
Comments: 4 pages, 5 figures, added 2 references and figures are modified to
   increase the readability, submitted to Phys. Rev. Lett
Subj-class: Atomic Physics
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/physics/0609203 , 250kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0508054
replaced with revised version Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:22:30 GMT (25kb)

Title: Energy absorption of a Bose gas in a periodically modulated optical
   lattice
Authors: A. Iucci, M. A. Cazalilla, A. Ho and T. Giamarchi
Comments: 4 pages, 3 figures. Added references, typos corrected. High
   dimensional case revised, figures changed
Subj-class: Mesoscopic Systems and Quantum Hall Effect
Journal-ref: Phys. Rev. A 73, 041608(R) (2006)
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0508054 , 25kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0605121
replaced with revised version Mon, 23 Oct 2006 14:40:57 GMT (15kb)

Title: Sweeping from the superfluid to Mott phase in the Bose-Hubbard model
Authors: Ralf Sch\"utzhold, Michael Uhlmann, Yan Xu, Uwe R. Fischer
Comments: 4 pages of RevTex4, 1 figure; to appear in Physical Review Letters
Subj-class: Statistical Mechanics
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0605121 , 15kb)
\\
Paper: quant-ph/0605095
replaced with revised version Mon, 23 Oct 2006 17:25:38 GMT (511kb)

Title: Quantum teleportation between light and matter
Authors: Jacob Sherson, Hanna Krauter, Rasmus K. Olsson, Brian Julsgaard,
   Klemens Hammerer, Ignacio Cirac and Eugene S. Polzik
Comments: 23 pages, 8 figures, incl. supplementary information
Journal-ref: Nature 443, 557-560 (5 October 2006)
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0605095 , 511kb)
\\
Paper: quant-ph/0607171
replaced with revised version Fri, 20 Oct 2006 21:35:35 GMT (524kb)

Title: Quantized Rotation of Atoms From Photons with Orbital Angular Momentum
Authors: M. F. Andersen, C. Ryu, Pierre Clade, V. Natarajan, A. Vaziri, K.
   Helmerson, W. D. Phillips
Comments: New version, 4 pages and 3 figures, accepted for publication in
   Physical Review Letters
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0607171 , 524kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0608566
replaced with revised version Tue, 24 Oct 2006 15:42:38 GMT (379kb)

Title: Excitations from a Bose-Einstein condensate of magnons in coupled spin
   ladders
Authors: V. O. Garlea, A. Zheludev, T. Masuda, H. Manaka, J.-H. Chung, Y. Qiu,
   K. Habicht, K. Kiefer
Comments: 4 pages, 4 figures
Subj-class: Strongly Correlated Electrons; Superconductivity
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0608566 , 379kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0610579
replaced with revised version Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:35:57 GMT (210kb)

Title: Numerical study of one-dimensional and interacting Bose-Einstein
   condensates in a random potential
Authors: Eric Akkermans (Technion), Sankalpa Ghosh (I. I. T Delhi), Ziad
   Musslimani (Florida State university)
Comments: 13 pages, 13 figures, few typos corrected
Subj-class: Other; Disordered Systems and Neural Networks
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0610579 , 210kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0602037
replaced with revised version Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:27:18 GMT (190kb)

Title: Validity of the Lowest Landau Level Approximation for Rotating Bose
   Gases
Authors: Alexis G. Morris and David L. Feder
Comments: Ver. 3: Updated acknowledgements, minor corrections. 8 pages, 9
   figures
Subj-class: Mesoscopic Systems and Quantum Hall Effect
Journal-ref: Phys. Rev. A 74, 033605 (2006)
DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevA.74.033605
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0602037 , 190kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0606815
replaced with revised version Wed, 25 Oct 2006 19:47:31 GMT (268kb)

Title: Localized modes in arrays of boson-fermion mixtures
Authors: Yu. V. Bludov, V. V. Konotop
Subj-class: Other; Pattern Formation and Solitons
Journal-ref: PHYSICAL REVIEW A 74, 043616 (2006)
DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevA.74.043616
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0606815 , 268kb)
\\
Paper: quant-ph/0605245
replaced with revised version Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:07:57 GMT (67kb)

Title: Manipulation of Single Neutral Atoms in Optical Lattices
Authors: Chuanwei Zhang, S. L. Rolston, and S. Das Sarma
Comments: 5 pages, 3 figures
Subj-class: Quantum Physics; Soft Condensed Matter
Journal-ref: Phys. Rev. A. 74, 042316 (2006)
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0605245 , 67kb)
\\
Paper: quant-ph/0605245
replaced with revised version Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:07:57 GMT (67kb)

Title: Manipulation of Single Neutral Atoms in Optical Lattices
Authors: Chuanwei Zhang, S. L. Rolston, and S. Das Sarma
Comments: 5 pages, 3 figures
Subj-class: Quantum Physics; Soft Condensed Matter
Journal-ref: Phys. Rev. A. 74, 042316 (2006)
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0605245 , 67kb)
\\
Paper: quant-ph/0610022
replaced with revised version Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:53:54 GMT (224kb)

Title: Demonstration of a Tunable-Bandwidth White Light Interferometer using
   Anomalous Dispersion in Atomic Vapor
Authors: G.S. Pati, M. Salit, K. Salit, and M.S. Shahriar
Comments: 18 Pages, 6 figures
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0610022 , 224kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0604416
replaced with revised version Thu, 26 Oct 2006 09:56:10 GMT (402kb)

Title: Thermal Fluctuations of Vortex Matter in Trapped Bose-Einstein
   Condensates
Authors: S. Kragset, E. Babaev and A. Sudbo
Comments: v2: figure quality improved; v3: references added, minor extentions
   following referee requests
Subj-class: Statistical Mechanics
Journal-ref: Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 170403 (2006)
DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.97.170403
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0604416 , 402kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0610476
replaced with revised version Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:34:20 GMT (207kb)

Title: Mean-field phase diagram of cold lattice bosons in disordered potentials
Authors: P. Buonsante, V. Penna, A. Vezzani and P.B. Blakie
Comments: 5 pages, 4 figures, added some references and reformulated some
   sentences
Subj-class: Soft Condensed Matter; Statistical Mechanics
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0610476 , 207kb)
\\
Paper (*cross-listing*): nlin.SI/0605006
replaced with revised version Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:55:09 GMT (20kb)

Title: Nonlinear Dynamics of Quantum Systems and Soliton Theory
Authors: Eldad Bettelheim, Alexander G. Abanov, Paul Wiegmann
Comments: Some corrections made
Subj-class: Exactly Solvable and Integrable Systems; Other
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/nlin/0605006 , 20kb)

Last week follows,
Matt.

--
Dr M. J. Davis,               Senior Lecturer in Physics
School of Physical Sciences,  email: mdavis_at_physics.uq.edu.au